TYT MD-9600 Review

Regarding the newest update. I received a brand new TYT MD-9600 from a local ham radio shop before the weekend. The radio came with the latest software installed. I wasted the entire weekend trying to make it work. I have a lot of Chinese radios of wich all work flawless. This one however, has been a pain.

Firs, none of my two computers would recognize the programming cable (normally detected after the radio is connected). I spent one day deleting and reconnecting and trying every possible way to make it work. In the end it started working.

Second. The supplied CD contained all possible TYT software for older models EXCEPT from MD-9600. I had to go online and download it.

Third. When programmed, I noticed that of the four programmable buttons in the front, only P1 and P4 worked. The two in the middle just cannot be programmed, even if i do it through the software. Tried million times.

Fourth. I programmed two zones into the radio. The channels in the zones are not visible nowhere. I have made a scan list, but when activating scan, it scans only the entire frequency band. No way I may get it to scan channels. (Maybe this is me not understanding how to use it, but I do not think so).

Fift. Sound issue. A VERY loud "pop"/"Scratch" sound comes out of the loudspeker every time I press a button. The sound is so loud it damages the hearing. I disabled tones for the buttons and the problem was gone. But it is not supposed to be like this.

Sixth. I tried to upload a BMP to the startup screen with no luck. I made it in the desired size and format, but there was no way to upload it. The software told me it had to be in the right size and bitsize, but all was correct. Still no result.

Seventh. The microphone light is on ALL the time, even when the radio is powered on.

I tried to reinstall the latest software twice, but no change.

So, I cannot strongly enought recommend staying away from this radio. Waste your money on something else.

LB1VD, Kristian
comments 26 November 2017 at 03:59



1 comment:

  1. j'ai acheté un MD-9600 et je peut vous dire que TOUT fonctionne a merveille, le seul point noir est le bouton de volume qui est trop sensible et le tone qui est trop fort et fixe (pas de réglage)
    personnellement je le recommande
    Pierre VE2AH

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments, Comments may take a day to show up

A discussion group about this subject.

Digital Ham Radio / Amateur Radio
https://groups.io/g/DigitalHamRADIO
****** share this with others *******

Amateur Radio Users Support Group
https://groups.io/g/AmateurRadio
****** share this with others *******

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.